Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2015 8:37 PM
Apr 2015
Can someone explain me anything? Just like "how iceman appeared?" or "how eruruw had a ring, that hakuoro gave to his daughter? She is his daughter or what? Wtf?" or even where did girl with black wings appear from?
P.S. sorry for my bad english
Aug 12, 2015 9:12 AM

Jul 2008
It's been a loooooong while since I watched Utawarerumono, but I'll skim Wikipedia and see what I can remember for you.

Basically, an unnamed archaeologist (Hakuoro) stumbles upon the fossil of the forgotten God Witsarunemitea, which is hidden away in a laboratory. He is then confronted by a scientist who explains that he didn't want anyone else to find out about the fossil, as he believes it's the missing link in human evolution, but should not exist. The archaeologist shoots Hakuoro, causing his blood to splatter onto the fossil. Thereafter, Hakuoro is granted immortality and becomes the Gods vessel, with the God itself bound in sleep and represented as the mask on his face. As time passes, Hakuoro's body becomes frozen in ice, likely due to an ice age.

An unspecified amount of time later (which could be as long as a millennia) Hakuoro's frozen body is discovered by researchers, who call him the 'Iceman'. In this time, the world outside has become uninhabitable by humans, and the researchers intend to study Hakuoro as he is able to survive outside. From Hakuoro's DNA, the researchers also set about trying to increase their longevity and create various artificial humans for research. Two of the most successful test subjects are #63 (dubbed Mutsumi) and #3510 (dubbed Mikoto). They then intend to refreeze Hakuoro for later study, but one of the researchers grows very sympathetic towards him and allows Hakuoro to escape (the researcher gives him the ring Eruruu has later, which is the facility's master key) along with Mikoto, one of the artificial humans whom Hakuoro is close with. Hakuoro and Mikoto enjoy a peaceful life outside and eventually reproduce, but a couple of years later, they are captured by researchers in environmental suits and brought back to the research facility.

Mikoto is then dissected, which fills Hakuoro with rage, awakening and unleashing the forgotten God Witsarunemitea. Witsarunemitea destroys most of the facility and grants the researchers' wish of immortality by turning them into gelatinous beings. Ultimately, the God becomes so filled with rage that it splits him in two; one which seeks destruction and another which seeks only to be destroyed. During all of the destruction, Mutsumi (one of the artificial beings created from Hakuoro's DNA) appears and, empowered by the Gods divine blood, is able to seal him. After that, the successful genetic experiments repopulate the Earth, as they're able to survive on the surface and the original humans are slowly forgotten.

Many years later, the two halves of Witsarunemitea awaken again and begin battle. The side which seeks destruction strives to wage wars throughout the land, while the other half strives to destroy them both so the new populace can endure a time of peace. This point in the timeline is also the beginning of the events in Utawarerumono; the earthquake the characters witness is caused by the Gods fighting. Both sides are eventually heavily injured in the battle, with the evil, war-waging side latching onto the character Dii, who is a scholar. This side also grants the Empress Kuya the power of the Avu-Kamuu, so they can wage war against their enemies.

The peaceful side is able to retain the form of Hakuoro, with the God returning to rest inside his mask. However, the earthquake earlier causes Aruruu to fall out of a tree and sustain life-threatening injures. Upon finding her, Euruu prays to Witsarunemitea, asking that the God heal Aruruu in exchange for Eruruu's body and soul. Before Witsarunemitea enters his slumber, the last thing he is able to do is heal Aruruu. Hakuoro is then found in the woods by Eruruu. The ring Eruruu has is the master key that Hakuoro escaped with (which ended up in the possession of his and Mikoto's daughter) and has been passed down through generations, so ultimately Eruruu is one of Hakuoro's descendants. The girl with black wings is Mutsumi, one of the artificial beings derived from Hakuoro's DNA in the past and the one who sealed the two halves of Witsarunemitea. She lives on through Kamyu, who is her descendant.

I hope that answers your questions; it took a lot longer to explain than I thought it would! Always nice to help new fans of Utawarerumono, though. The series is so well constructed and has a surprising amount of depth. I don't think I've watched an anime since with such an interesting backstory and Utawarerumono was one of my first. Can't wait for the new series!
ToukaAug 23, 2015 3:10 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla

More topics from this board

» I found an Hidden Gem

Naveen6662246 - Apr 9

7 by 0Unknown0 »»
Apr 10, 1:30 AM

Poll: » Utawarerumono Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

alert105 - Mar 23, 2008

108 by Strahan »»
Dec 9, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Utawarerumono Episode 20 Discussion

aero - Mar 15, 2009

22 by Lolicon »»
Nov 7, 2023 8:52 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono Episode 4 Discussion

aero - Dec 27, 2008

21 by HagePotPotato »»
Apr 9, 2023 9:35 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono Episode 24 Discussion

aero - Mar 15, 2009

18 by fast2611 »»
Mar 8, 2023 8:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.