Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 15, 2015 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
Let's get right to it. Spoilers, obviously.

1. Why was Homura so intent on having the other magic girls kill her after she became a witch? Yes, I know it was to stop the Incubators from observing what happens with The Law of Cycles takes a magical girl away when she's about to turn into a witch. But, if the experiment with Homura failed, couldn't they just try it again with another magical girl? They obviously picked Homura because plot, but surely they could just try again if Homura died as a witch. I guess Homura wasn't thinking about that, but still. And the audience probably isn't supposed to think about that either.

2. Did the magical girls trying to save Homura after she turned into a witch aware of the Incubator trap? I read on an anime blog that they were, but I don't remember any evidence to back that up. Didn't they know that saving Homura was what the Incubators want? Were they aware and trying to destroy the trap as well? I thought Homura was the only one aware of what was going on, which is why she didn't want them to save her?

3. Madoka was supposed to be omnipresent concept at the end of the original series, so how in the world did she not see Homura's betrayal coming? The best explanation i've read is that Madoka isn't omnipresent when she comes to get Homura, since Mami and Kyouko can see her. And because it's her physical form, she can't know what's going to happen. Or something like that.

4. How did Homura's soul gem get tainted by "love"? How does that even happen. I've read this: http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Rebellion/Spoilers#AI_YO , but I don't know how I feel about it.

5. Where is the other part of The Law of Cycles after Homura ripped out human Madoka? Homura's witch lair enveloped the entire universe, so is that power supposed to be beyond the universe and that's what Madoka is connecting to at the end of the movie?

6. What is the magical girl system in Homura's new universe? I know we don't have much to go on. Do magical girls still exist? What about witches or wraiths? It seems like the Incubators are now the vessels of the curses, pain, and grief of humanity, but how is that collected and deposited into the Incubators? Does Homura do it all? Or it is automatic? If so, is this world really that bad? No threat of Kyuubey. No magical girls. No witches. It seems like an ideal universe.
removed-userJun 15, 2015 1:10 AM
Jun 15, 2015 6:48 AM
Jun 2014
Hey there!

First off have to say that the last time I watched the movie was 4-5 month ago, so it may be possible that I forgot a thing or two and I might recall some things wrong so sorry in advance! Anyway, here are my opinions:

1 Well this is a tough one (like all of your questions ^^). This is what I think: Even if the Incubators had a second chance to understand the law of Cycles, they wouldn't have solved it the first time! So maybe Homura wanted to die so that Madoka had some more time to prevent the Incubators from learning about the Law of cycles. Also wasn't Homura the one who told the Incubators that Madoka is a part of the law of cycles? Homura was the only one who knew about Madoka, so I guess that she was also the only way for the incubators to control this entity that they know nothing about. And when homura dies there would be no connectionpoint between the incubators and Madoka so it would be much harder for them to obtain control over her (Madoka)

2 wasn't sayaka also aware of the trap? She was only playing along and the only one who kept her memory, at least that's what i remembered.

3 The Question is if Madoka really is omnipresent (in the sense of time, so if she is not only everywhere in all 3 dimensions of room but also in the forth dimension of time). In my opinion there is only 1 time she needs to be in the past and that is when she prevents all magical girl from entering the stage of a witch. There is no need for her to be in the future whatsoever and theoretically there isn't even a need to go to the past again after she has gotten rid of all the witches. So if she wasn't omnipresent in the forth dimension, there would be no way for her to tell the future, would there?

4 I wouldn't say that Homuras Soulgem was tainted by love but by pure selfishness.

5 I don't think Homura had the power to completely destroy this part of the law of cycle, the only thing that she did (still just my opinion ;) ) is to separate this power from Madoka. The goddess inside of Madoka isn't destroyed, but at the time there is no one who could use this power (except from Madoka when she connects to it again). Does that make sense? I have no idea!

6 well I have not a single clue ^^. But I'm really hyped for the next movie or season (if there will be one)

Feel free to correct me in every point your opinion differs from mine, I'd appreciate it! Also I have to apologize for my terrible English!

Greetings from Germany
Phvossi
Jun 15, 2015 3:20 PM

Mar 2015
1) A witch barrier is a universe of it's own, together with the membrane that Kyuubey provided, only the things Homura 'invited' can be allowed in. That said, given Homura is the only one who is aware of Madoka, she is the only one who can bring Madoka into this membrane.

2) To elaborate on what phvossi said, Sayaka and Nagisa were holding onto Madoka's memories, so Madoka we see in the movie wasn't linked to the Law of Cycles, therefore not exploitable by Kyuubey.

3)Abstain. I can't really comprehend omnipresence, the scenario seems like a paradox to me, in the sense that, for Madoka to avoid getting caught by Homura she must have been aware of such a future meaning it would have to exist in the first place.

I believe the theory you mention goes like this. The Madoka we see in the movie experiences time linearly (i.e. not omnipresent) and it makes sense since she is in a materialized form throughout.

4)Abstain.

5)Homura absorbed the Law of Cycles' power. It is still doing it's job of destroying witches just without its human aspect, Madoka, to guide it.

6)Thing about Madoka (the show) is that it's always give and take, karmic balance still exists, so there is some price to be paid. I'm just gonna quote myself here.

Though it is also understandable to agree with Homura since we aren't really shown the repercussions of her actions other than that the main cast are all alive now.

While we don't see much of the new world, there are some hints that can be taken from the lyrics of the ending song. Particularly note these lines:

"Have you realized that the truth always lies in the past?"

"All futures and hope are but a selfish story envisioned by someone in a distant garden"

In the series, Madoka and Homura are opposites in many ways; where Madoka represents hope, Homura represents despair. The world we see at the end of Rebellion is Homura's barrier which covers the whole universe, a dream world Homura created.

Basically, it's a world devoid of hope and future, where there is no longer progression. Remember that karmic balance still applies. Madoka chose to respect the wishes of all magical girls, sacrificing herself so their wishes would not have to become curses. Homura on the other hand, is denying a world of opportunity so that Madoka will not have to sacrifice herself.
MelonMilkJun 16, 2015 6:21 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1044 by sharosharo »»
May 10, 2:04 AM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.