Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2015 2:25 AM
Mar 2012
THIS IS A NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
Alicization Exploding will be released on August 8.

Synopsis: Half a year has passed since the grandest battle in the history of the Human Empire unfolded at the top floor of the Central Cathedral with Kirito and Eugeo's battle to the death with the highest minister Administrator. The peace that came in exchange for Kirito's heart and Eugeo's life did not continue for long.

The eleventh month of the Human Empire Calendar, 380. The curtain for the <Final Load Test> that will engulf the entire Underworld in chaos has been raised. The <East Gate> that separated the Human Empire and Dark Territory collapses and the dreadful <Forces of Darkness> begin their invasion. Opposing the invading army of 50,000 led by Darkness God Vector/Gabriel Miller is the Human Empire Defense Army of 3,000 led by the Integrity Knight Bercouli. The 《Frost Scale Whip》 Eldrie, the sub-leader 《Conflagrant Flame Bow》 Deusolbert, 《Heaven Piercing Sword》 Fanatio, and other Integrity Knights continue their struggle to reverse their numerical inferiority. But by using trickery, the enemy vanguard mountain goblin race slips through the line of defense and aims for supply force in the rear.

A crisis is drawing near female trainees Ronye and Tieze who are protecting the mind and body-broken Kirito. The final showdown of the 《Alicization》 arc is finally beginning!

From the end of Accel World volume 18:
-Karoshi-Jun 12, 2015 12:50 PM
Jun 12, 2015 12:49 PM
Mar 2012
Reki teasing Goddess Asuna: https://twitter.com/kunori/status/608918124344164353
https://twitter.com/kunori/status/608920601772736513

"Progressive Asuna → Knights of Blood Asuna → Titania Asuna → Undine Asuna → Final Form"
-Karoshi-Jun 12, 2015 5:45 PM
Jul 9, 2015 7:34 AM
Mar 2012
Cover for the 16th volume, finally visuals of Stacia Asuna!

Jul 20, 2015 7:25 AM
Apr 2014
August 8th, can't wait! also curious about Asuna entering, but I remember reading in the afterword that the entire gang would enter, am I wrong or it just takes place in the 17+ volume?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 21, 2015 2:14 PM
Sep 2010
What I loved about Alicization arc overall is the lack of Asuna. Now it's gonna be same thing all over again, only SHE can be the one to stand with Kirito yadda yadda yadda. Ah well. Reki must love her character a lot, and so do the fans, so she's gonna be the main no matter what.
Jul 22, 2015 7:13 PM

Jun 2014
Guys i have read the WN summeries and was just wondering if Reki will keep the the end the same as WN with
. As Kirito x Asuna is a very popular pairing in Japan and with Reki now writing SAO:Progressive which pretty much revolves around Kirito and Asuna and the gradual development in their relationship which was butchered(to an extent in LN with anime completely ruining it). I truly think that he won't end the LN like the WN due the above reasons.

I would really like to know other's opinions on this ;)
Oct 23, 2015 2:24 AM

Jun 2014
CutePriest said:
Guys i have read the WN summeries and was just wondering if Reki will keep the the end the same as WN with
. As Kirito x Asuna is a very popular pairing in Japan and with Reki now writing SAO:Progressive which pretty much revolves around Kirito and Asuna and the gradual development in their relationship which was butchered(to an extent in LN with anime completely ruining it). I truly think that he won't end the LN like the WN due the above reasons.

Dunno the difference between the WN/LN.
Nov 8, 2015 11:36 PM

Aug 2013
CutePriest said:

Nov 11, 2015 12:15 AM
Nov 2015
when will be the remainder of the vol 16 be translated to english..... its been more than a month... huhuhuhu.....T_T
Nov 24, 2015 1:00 AM

Jul 2012
dianzen said:
when will be the remainder of the vol 16 be translated to english..... its been more than a month... huhuhuhu.....T_T

I have almost a physical need to read it as soon as possible :(
Dec 19, 2015 12:13 PM
Dec 2015
[quote=Satyricon-hu]
CutePriest said:
Asuna is the legal wife.

The best thing I have heard in days :,)
Mar 11, 2016 3:24 PM

Jan 2014
One of the worst SAO volumes I've read. The first half is plain boring, while the second one is simply cheesy and severely lacking in the logic department. The part about account conversion felt especially stupid. Too bad, as I really enjoyed the previous volume. SAO is rollercoaster. :(
Apr 10, 2016 4:56 AM

Oct 2009
just read it. rly liked it
May 23, 2016 3:20 PM
Jul 2018

I was honestly disappointed with how short the fight between (the Goddess Stacia) Asuna and Alice was,
but I loved how they interacted with each other (did I just see them tsundering towards each other? Yeah, I think I did).
Now Asuna is OP and Kirito is the DID that needs to be saved,
oh boy I can't wait to see what lame excuse people are going to make up to say that it doesn't counts
*sighs* even though she saved his life more time than he saved hers (4:2).
The first chapter was interesting because of the Integrity Knight's backstories but I honestly found the chapter to be boring,
I don't like SAO because of the action, I like it because of the characters, their interactions and developments.
Weakest Alicization volume so far, but yay Leafa and Sinon are back, I'm glad to see them again after so long, because they were, you know, sidelined,
now I'll just wait impatiently for the translations of the 17th volume - Vol. score: 4/5.
P.s. Alice, that pose on the first illustration, are you trying to imitate, you know, a certain king?
removed-userMar 7, 2019 12:24 PM
Jan 16, 2017 3:08 PM
Mar 2016
I loved the volume,I was happy to see Asuna in action again.
Mar 8, 2017 2:12 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
So finished volume 16. Here are my thoughts:

I liked how the war progressed and all the Underworld residents get their time to shine. It was cool moment when Alice realized that the soul of the demi-humans were the same as the humans. The Integrity Knights' individual fighting style are very reminiscent of Soul Society Captains from Bleach (literally Release Recollection = Bankai).

What remains as a very weak point is the main "big bad" Vector. Once again, Reki doesn't seem to be able to get a good villain that is just not comically evil. I liked how the Dark Territory Leaders and some of the demi-humans are portrayed - more nuanced, realistic and much better than Vector.

Then came the random harem shenanigans with Asuna vs. Alice. To be honest, it felt really out of place and kinda broke apart some of the immersion that was built up with this arc so far. For me, I really enjoy the pure Underworld POV narrative without any of the real world interference. I usually speed up in chapters dealing with the real world in order to reach the Underworld chapters much faster.

Overall a good first half and a much weaker second half due to immersion-breaking unnecessary comic relief via harem shenanigans. Those could have been entirely diminished or avoided.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 25, 2019 10:12 PM

Feb 2019
unpopular opinion but I prefer Alice to Asuna.

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

» Still feels rushed

Cneq - Nov 14, 2022

7 by Saynarra »»
Jan 19, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.