Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2014 5:18 PM

Oct 2011
A quick summary of my experience with the Fate Series:

• Originally watched the movie version of this route, though I only remember up to Saber's battle with Berserker.
  • Outside of that, I've watched Fate Zero completely, and watched the first 6 episodes of DEEN's Fate Stay Night before dropping it.
  • I have also played a little bit of the Fate dungeon crawler and fighting game on PSP. (Which I assume are disconnected completely from this, story wise)

So knowing the above, will I be lost at any point during this series, or will I enjoy it just fine? Fate/Zero was easy to understand since it was the beginning/prequel story to Stay/Night, but I am completely lost when it comes to how UBW relates to the other routes of the story.

TL;DR / MAIN QUESTION(S):
Is it considered the canon route? Best route? What are the biggest changes? (non-spoiler answers if possible) Is it just a switch of protagonist?

Also - just a personal question that has been nagging me: Why does Rin consider Saber to be the best servant? Why is she so desirable for the Holy Grail War?

(I'll post this in the main UBW TV discussion so that I can get more answers as well. )
BRSxIgnitionOct 11, 2014 5:24 PM
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Oct 11, 2014 5:36 PM

Oct 2013
Short answer is no.

All three routes: Fate, UBW & HF are valid and completely self-sufficient.

Imagine the three routes as three different timelines. The events of the three routes are vastly different. Most VNs have a big common route and then splits off into smaller heroine routes. For F/SN, the common route is very short (literally just the prologue & first episode of the new UBW anime), everything after that will be completely different from what you'd see in Fate or HF.

Protagonist is Shirou in all three routes. The prologue, which if you play the Realta Nua VN, will be played before all three routes, and it's always from the perspective of Rin.

Saber has best stats. You'll find out why in the UBW route. From a lore perspective, Saber-class Servants all have very strong physical combat abilities (comparable to a Berserker's), innate magic resistance (which is kinda useful in a war of mages, ey?) and are tend to be more loyal/easier to command for the summoner.

Finally, I think there is a "common questions" thread that should answer all your questions on the series' main forum.
Oct 11, 2014 5:38 PM

Jan 2009
you can even watch this series as a standalone story
Oct 11, 2014 5:40 PM

Oct 2013
Not only is this show sufficient as a standalone story. It's THE best starting point for anyone to get into the Fate/blahblah series, assuming you don't want to read the VNs.
Oct 11, 2014 5:55 PM

Oct 2011
I've posted this question in the main series version of this thread already, but:

I remember from Fate Zero that Gilgamesh was considered the best by Rin's father. Didn't he boast about summoning him at the beginning of the series? (Too lazy to go check right this moment)

Also, is there anyway to read through the entire Fate route without having to play the game? Or is there a way to play through it without having to unlock it first?

I've heard the Fate route explains a lot about the servants and Saber and how they work - is that true?
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Oct 11, 2014 6:28 PM
Aug 2009
BRSxIgnition said:
I've posted this question in the main series version of this thread already, but:

I remember from Fate Zero that Gilgamesh was considered the best by Rin's father. Didn't he boast about summoning him at the beginning of the series? (Too lazy to go check right this moment)

Also, is there anyway to read through the entire Fate route without having to play the game? Or is there a way to play through it without having to unlock it first?

I've heard the Fate route explains a lot about the servants and Saber and how they work - is that true?

Rin's father made a big deal out of Gilgamesh because he is "Gilgamesh", not because of his class as an Archer. If you check the official "stats" of Archer, it's actually pretty low.

Fate is the very first route of the game, followed by UBW then Heaven's Feel. You don't need to unlock anything if you want to play the Fate route. Alternatively, there is the old anime adaption and the manga adaption too.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) - Prologue Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hannah_Ana - Nov 17, 2014

1227 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 18, 9:41 AM

» Plot Hole (spoilers)

Mescalink - Jul 7, 2023

13 by Azynobitaku »»
Jul 8, 2023 6:48 PM

» Is there a huge flaw or am I missing something?

Barrusu - Apr 19, 2017

8 by Dawizz »»
Jun 30, 2023 9:52 PM

» That fight scene

kotosugu - May 13, 2023

12 by kakashis_sidehoe »»
May 15, 2023 2:16 PM

» What happened to the quality of voice acting?

060steve - Jul 28, 2020

0 by 060steve »»
Jul 28, 2020 1:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.