Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2014 7:12 PM
Jul 2012
I dropped the 2006 anime because it just felt very generic and boring. Fate/Zero started pretty decently but it really dropped the ball hard at kiritsugu's backstory and the anticlimactic stuff afterwards, really hated that but people kept saying that you needed to play all of the routes of the vn to truly appreciate F/Z(imo it's just bad pacing and not excusable considering a lot are anime-only viewers). Now I'm willing to give this series a chance since ufotable can actually do some good stuff when they want to, thought all Type-Moon stuff would be poorly paced anime requiring external information but Kara no Kyoukai 5 changed my mind about that, so is this actually an anime or just fanservice for VN fans?
Oct 5, 2014 7:18 PM

Jul 2011
I don't think that you need to play the VN for watching the prologue.
Oct 5, 2014 7:19 PM

Jul 2007
Nope.

Knowing the first route in the visual novel enriches the experience(since you can compare the parallels and huge differences), but it is not needed

THis is stand-alone on its own.
Oct 5, 2014 7:24 PM

Nov 2012
Well speaking from my experience, which you might be able to relate to more than others since I'm kinda going against the flow too, I've watched the 2006 series, I've read all of the UBW route of the VN and I'm finishing up HF right now, and so far none of it has affected my overall opinion that Fate/Zero suffers from dull, slow, laborious pacing, and while the show has its moments, it is ultimately only a series that manages to rise slightly above mediocrity, contrary to consensus opinions. The original Fate/stay night had pacing issues too, though I'd argue to a lesser degree than Fate/Zero (but it also had other problems of its own nonetheless). I think some people just need to come to terms with the reality that Fate is not for everybody, and people will have different experiences with it regardless of whether they have the full context of the VN or not.

So far from watching the prologue of this adaptation, it is shaping up to be the best one yet. The prologue still had some slight pacing issues I personally thought, but not nearly to the degree of either F/SN 2006 or F/Z, so give it a shot.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Oct 5, 2014 9:22 PM
Jun 2014
New to the "Fate/" series here. Is this show a good starting point?
Oct 5, 2014 9:25 PM

Oct 2011
Based_God said:

Yes it is!
Be prepared for an awesome ride!
Oct 5, 2014 9:26 PM

Oct 2012
Based_God said:

According to what more informed people here have said, yes. Outside of the VN, this is the best place to start, especially if you are an anime-only viewer. Then, you wait for the Heaven's Feel movies. Then, Fate/Zero. Hope that helps!
Oct 5, 2014 9:33 PM
Jun 2014
Teacher_Priest said:
Based_God said:

Yes it is!

toyall123 said:
Based_God said:

According to what more informed people here have said, yes. Outside of the VN, this is the best place to start, especially if you are an anime-only viewer. Then, you wait for the Heaven's Feel movies. Then, Fate/Zero. Hope that helps!

Cool, thanks for the info. Guess I'll start with this then. The VN is not essential right? Like I can skip that and I'll still be able to follow without a problem.
Oct 5, 2014 9:41 PM

Jul 2013
Based_God said:
Teacher_Priest said:

Yes it is!

toyall123 said:

Cool, thanks for the info. Guess I'll start with this then. The VN is not essential right? Like I can skip that and I'll still be able to follow without a problem.
it really depends on how well made the adaption is honestly. Although i would still recommend the vn because its pretty awesome.
This sure is an amazing signature!
Oct 5, 2014 9:46 PM

Apr 2010
Unlimited Blade Works is like Game of Thrones. Reading the original source material gives you a greater and richer experience to the show. Fate/stay Night is to A Song of Ice and Fire, that ultimately some stuff will be left out of the show.

But I agree with most replies that you don't really need to read the VN, but I highly recommend that you do. It'll give you a greater a appreciation of the work Type-Moon wanted to convey to their audiences.

My .02
Oct 5, 2014 9:54 PM

Sep 2014
If you can wait until Heaven's Feel is actually released before you watch F/Z, you could skip the visual novel. F/Z spoils way too much stuff, including things you're not supposed to know until the final route (HF) of F/SN... so either (a) wait until HF is over before watching F/Z, or (b) read the entire novel so you don't have to wait at the very least a whole freaking year until Heaven's Feel comes out.

The novel is very long, but if you read it regularly, there should be only 4-6 episodes out by the time you finish reading the whole novel or at the very least UBW.
Oct 5, 2014 9:56 PM

Jun 2009
Jmac said:
Unlimited Blade Works is like Game of Thrones. Reading the original source material gives you a greater and richer experience to the show. Fate/stay Night is to A Song of Ice and Fire, that ultimately some stuff will be left out of the show.

But I agree with most replies that you don't really need to read the VN, but I highly recommend that you do. It'll give you a greater a appreciation of the work Type-Moon wanted to convey to their audiences.

My .02

I hope that Game of Thrones comparison doesn't become accurate, seeing as how I've heard from a lot of readers of ASOIAF that the TV series makes a lot of changes. I don't mind things being left out, because as you said that's just how it is with adaptations, but changes aren't something I'm particularly big on. Unless they somehow improve on the source, of course.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 5, 2014 10:06 PM

Apr 2010
insan3priest said:
Jmac said:

My .02

I hope that Game of Thrones comparison doesn't become accurate, seeing as how I've heard from a lot of readers of ASOIAF that the TV series makes a lot of changes. I don't mind things being left out, because as you said that's just how it is with adaptations, but changes aren't something I'm particularly big on. Unless they somehow improve on the source, of course.

When adapted an average 800 page novel into 10 episode seasons, things are bound to be left out. But I understand where you are coming from about things getting chopped that needed to be in the show,but that's because I haven't read to novels yet.

But I believe ufotable will do UBW justice, because they pretty much took a 2 hour prologue (by my reading speed) and conveyed it's message in 45 min without leaving anything important out, which makes my happy and impressed.

So I'm feeling good that the message of UBW won't be lost and this may be one of the best animes of the year. Plus, ufotable have 20+ episodes to tell the story and not 2 hours like Studio Deen did...
JmacOct 5, 2014 10:13 PM
Oct 5, 2014 11:37 PM

Aug 2009
Tarextherex said:
I dropped the 2006 anime because it just felt very generic and boring. Fate/Zero started pretty decently but it really dropped the ball hard at kiritsugu's backstory and the anticlimactic stuff afterwards, really hated that but people kept saying that you needed to play all of the routes of the vn to truly appreciate F/Z(imo it's just bad pacing and not excusable considering a lot are anime-only viewers). Now I'm willing to give this series a chance since ufotable can actually do some good stuff when they want to, thought all Type-Moon stuff would be poorly paced anime requiring external information but Kara no Kyoukai 5 changed my mind about that, so is this actually an anime or just fanservice for VN fans?

IMO you are wrong about FZ.It cant be bad pacing or anticlimactic unless you mean it shouldnt follow the sequel.
Oct 6, 2014 1:37 AM

Jul 2007
Jmac said:
insan3priest said:

When adapted an average 800 page novel into 10 episode seasons, things are bound to be left out. But I understand where you are coming from about things getting chopped that needed to be in the show,but that's because I haven't read to novels yet.

But I believe ufotable will do UBW justice, because they pretty much took a 2 hour prologue (by my reading speed) and conveyed it's message in 45 min without leaving anything important out, which makes my happy and impressed.

So I'm feeling good that the message of UBW won't be lost and this may be one of the best animes of the year. Plus, ufotable have 20+ episodes to tell the story and not 2 hours like Studio Deen did...

If this does the changes at the level of GoT, I willl drop this so stop prophesizing shit.
Oct 6, 2014 3:00 AM

Aug 2014
Reading at least the Fate route would help, but no, this is a standalone.
CookingPriest said:

If this does the changes at the level of GoT, I willl drop this so stop prophesizing shit.

Change at the level of GoT? Unlikely, this is Ufotable, not DEEN. Thankfully.
Oct 6, 2014 3:06 AM

Jul 2007
InsertPriestHere said:
Reading at least the Fate route would help, but no, this is a standalone.
CookingPriest said:

Change at the level of GoT? Unlikely, this is Ufotable, not DEEN. Thankfully.

Yeah. That's what gives me hope

GOT now has absolutely nothing in common with the books, baring the lore and characters.
Oct 17, 2014 10:25 PM

Jun 2014
not necessary

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) - Prologue Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hannah_Ana - Nov 17, 2014

1227 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 18, 9:41 AM

» Plot Hole (spoilers)

Mescalink - Jul 7, 2023

13 by Azynobitaku »»
Jul 8, 2023 6:48 PM

» Is there a huge flaw or am I missing something?

Barrusu - Apr 19, 2017

8 by Dawizz »»
Jun 30, 2023 9:52 PM

» That fight scene

kotosugu - May 13, 2023

12 by kakashis_sidehoe »»
May 15, 2023 2:16 PM

» What happened to the quality of voice acting?

060steve - Jul 28, 2020

0 by 060steve »»
Jul 28, 2020 1:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.