Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2009 9:13 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great movie, all of the characters get some screentime and Sanji kicked some serious ass!

My favorite of the first 4 OP movies I've seen.
Nov 18, 2009 9:26 AM

Sep 2008
This was a so-so movie ^ ^

"If you don't risk your life, you can't make a future."

3.5/5

Believe in Wonderland OP is great like it has always been~

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Nov 22, 2009 10:21 PM

May 2008
Certainly better than the first movie.
Feb 8, 2010 11:58 AM
Apr 2009
I think my favorite part was when Sanji casually kicked the the guy after getting his shoes. Completely owned.

And what a beast, Luffy lifts 7 floors and he's not even in the Grand Line at this point.
May 16, 2010 7:43 PM

Dec 2009
This was better than first movie but still not that fabulous. The fights were better this time around. Sanji and Usopp had the best fights, though Luffy was super cool lifting all those floors.

Sep 4, 2010 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
LOL! It seems that I'm in the minority who prefer the first movie. The first movie wasn't something to write home about narrative wise, but it's saving grace was it was quite hilarious.

This one, however, somewhat bored me. The villains' powers were uninspired, and the woman, the only one with the power that seemed to have potential for an entertaining fight, didn't get to fight at all. And none of the Straw Hat pirates had moments that were memorable to me, maybe except for Sanji. I liked the Island and the reunion at the end brought a tear to my eye, though. I also liked the little preview to the Baroque Works arc.
removed-userNov 9, 2010 11:12 AM
Nov 14, 2010 11:37 PM

Feb 2010
I thought that water chick was caught a little too easily (although it was amusing), and the island collapsing was a little predictable... ok, really predictable. But it was still pretty enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the nude chick in the beginning hehe.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Nov 18, 2010 10:14 AM

Jun 2009
Didn't like it at all really. The villains were uninspiring and I was hoping for something memorable to come out of the the villain girl. Though, having smoker recently appear in the TV series makes it obvious that she is just a hotter and female version of him.

I enjoyed the first movie more, to be honest. Though neither of them are particularly great.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 20, 2010 8:15 PM

Aug 2010
I loved this movie just because of the simple fact that Sanji kicked ass.
Mar 19, 2011 9:54 PM

Oct 2008
Pretty cool.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Sep 3, 2011 11:33 PM

Jan 2010
Sanji's fight made this movie good :D
Sep 22, 2011 1:50 AM

Aug 2010
yup yup, decent enough.
Dec 22, 2011 6:11 PM
Apr 2010
Naivette said:
Sanji's fight made this movie good :D

Pretty much was I was going to say -_-
everything else was just meh
Feb 14, 2012 6:28 AM

Dec 2009
Bad movie was bad.

The animation was okayish but the art was god awful jeesus.

The story was boring and blah, stupid filler kid was stupid, and of course he had to cry just like all the other filler kids. Bad villains.

4/10
Jun 18, 2012 3:33 PM

Mar 2010
NICE MOVIE :D
Nov 24, 2012 12:45 PM

Jul 2011
I really enjoyed this movie. My second fav of the OP movies (first is Strong World).
The sotry was awesome, The art was amazing... Luffy kicked ass as always XD
5/5
May 3, 2014 9:26 AM

Jan 2014
nonmp89 said:
I think my favorite part was when Sanji casually kicked the the guy after getting his shoes. Completely owned.

And what a beast, Luffy lifts 7 floors and he's not even in the Grand Line at this point.
Sanji FTW ! ^3^ Not as good as the series, still a good watch after all =)
Jun 24, 2014 8:54 AM

Oct 2013
This movie was great i really got touched by the end of it.8/10

Jul 24, 2014 9:44 AM

Nov 2010
Nice movie. the action was good and the island had a great view.
Sep 10, 2014 9:32 AM

May 2013
Awesome movie.
Apr 29, 2015 4:01 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
"If you don't risk your life, you can't make a future."

Loved this movie

Jul 1, 2015 3:45 AM

May 2014
Great movie. The woman who ate that liquid fruit was hot af :+
Every crewmember got a good fight, fantastic. well, Nami though.....
And Luffy was beast damn, Sanji's fight was also pretty good albeit that the fight didn't last very long :(
9/10
Jul 9, 2015 5:27 AM
Aug 2013
At least for me I enjoyed it a bit, not as much as the first movie though. But a solid 7/10 from me!
Jul 12, 2016 11:26 PM

Mar 2015
This was a fun watch, hope I'm not the only one who finds Nami wearing a wedding gown and a straw hat unusually attractive, am I?

8/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 24, 2016 10:07 AM

Oct 2015
A fairly enjoyable movie. Kinda liked this one just a little.
5.5/10
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Aug 26, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2014
Good movie. Had a good time overall :)
Mar 8, 2017 4:09 AM

Aug 2012
Man, you watch One Piece hoping to escape from the political landscape, and you still get Trump shoved everywhere.

7/10. I kinda like that the movie hindered most of the cast here, it's a shame that rather than forcing them to think out of the box to win it was used just to let them lose at first but at least we got one awesome moment from that (Sanji's fight). Really, really happy that Sanji got the most definitive, absolute victory, especially since his battle was framed in relation to his chivalry, his need to protect Nami. Usopp's fight with Skunk One was just kinda there, like that got a quick win (it was odd that outside of his escape tactic earlier on only his brave warrior sea side showed). Zoro's & Luffy's fight were pretty boring and basic though. It is cool to see them struggle more in a fight than Usopp though. Nami's defeat of Honey Queen was a bit upsetting since HQ had the most interesting move-set but that was basically that only way they were going to beat her and it's pretty standard comical One Piece defeat so meh.

The villains this time around are a trade-off from the first One Piece. El Drago was a far more entertaining opponent than the very boring Bear King, but I liked Bear King's subordinates more than Drago's. Honey Queen had a pretty interesting power and I liked Pin Joker's recurring joke the first few times. The movie really ran that into the ground though but the first few times where it seemed this guy was trying to sound all smart by incorporating analogies into his speech only for Nami to constantly correct them was pretty funny. Especially how clearly embarrassed he was by it. After the initial times, I only liked Zoro correcting him before passing out, like he has some compulsion where he needs to correct incorrect idioms even if it's his last words but it kinda got annoying. I liked the relationship between Bodoro and Akisu, and the running line about how you can't create a future if you don't risk your life, since it's pretty in-line with One Piece's worldview, or at least Luffy's. There were some weird directorial choices, I'm not sure we needed all those shots of Shanks to connect the dots between a younger Luffy & Akisu, and there was the moment where we got the face pop-up conversation (when they left the store after the talk with Akisu's parents, I have no idea how to properly described that, and I don't know why they decided to do that). There were also some derpy face moments and bland fanservice but overall I liked the movies visuals.

Since it's been brought up frequently in this thread, throw my hat into the camp that preferred the first movie. My memory on that one's a bit vague but I recall it being a lot of simple fun, I'd rank that one above most of the other One Piece movies I've seen. This one tops Strong World and the Alabasta Recap only so far. Definitely plan to watch the rest of the One Piece films before this month is up though, rather than continuing my one a year trend (not that anyone cares).
Apr 13, 2017 10:24 AM

Dec 2016
The final fights between the Straw Hats and Trump Pirates were so fun to watch!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jun 28, 2017 3:43 PM
Aug 2011
Finally got around to watching this and wow it was absolutely awful.

The plot was horrendously rushed jumping from point to point as though they tried to force 3-4 hours of story into an hour and hastily trying to tie things off in an ending trying to finish off a story they'd never actually built up to.

It never gave any time to develop any of the characters and the villains in particular were some of the dullest most one note antagonists and the only two that showed any real hint at being interesting (fluid woman and the guy who said Zoro had beaten him in the past) got no real development on the opportunity to be interesting with the woman in particular feeling like her power existed only as an excuse for her to take her clothes off.

On the other front the ally characters didn't have any more development than the villains to the point that no reason was ever actually given to care about any of them and when the big ending came it was hard to feel any emotion for it because they never fleshed any of the plot lines out enough to actually make you care.
Nov 13, 2017 7:54 PM

Dec 2015
I honestly expected this to be better compared to the first movie, yet sadly it proved to be beyond disappointing. The only improvement was the animation, partial improvement to be more accurate, it was more solid but a lot of the time the characters had this glossy/overly shiny look which was very off-putting. The action was scarce, and mostly boring or poorly animated even though the movie was relatively short, coming at a little over 50 minutes.

Other flaws include:
-Climbing hundreds of meters of stairs in less than 1 minute.
-Usopp of all people starting a serious argument with an 8 yo kid about how unmanly/cowardly the kid is.
-Borodo hiding for years from Akisu where he was from and dragging him in the sea even though he knew how sad he was.
-Borodo trying to intimidate Villain-kun with dynamite, completely ignoring the fact that the explosion would destroy the key, which just minutes before he had acknowledged.
-Luffy having a BS power-up and pushing up 7 whole floors/rooms when before he could barely hold one of them from squashing him.

Overall this was a huge BS movie and a waste of my time 2/10.
joe_g7Nov 13, 2017 8:02 PM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 5, 2018 7:33 PM

Jun 2016
Much better than the first movie. The first movie lacked the One Piece tone and pacing, and although this one was rushed, it was no rushed slapstick comedy that fell short which didn't even feel like One Piece to begin with. The supports of Borodo and Akisu were, despite being pretty shallow, much better than any support in the first movie, and the villains were colorful and unique even if they were 1D and ultimately forgettable. At least they stand out more than whoever was in the first movie.

That being said, it wasn't that much better than the first film. If the first was a mediocre or bad 5/10, this was a strong 5/10. It's still purely a shallow repeat of the One Piece formula lacking anything new. In fact the scene where Bear King insulted Akisu for risking his life to save Borodo was a complete joke. I laughed at it, it was as if it was a parody of One Piece.
-Kid risks his life to save his friend.
-Villain mocks him for this.
-Luffy says "what did you just say" angrily and goes super saiyan.
It really feels like it's mocking the One Piece formula by doing it so bluntly. And speaking of problems like this, as someone mentioned Usopp arguing with a kid about being manly seemed weird, and scenes such as the one where Luffy gains super strength for no good reason and breaks the roof that's crushing him would have never happened in the anime. Perhaps the first film was so forgettable that I cannot remember if it was as unloyal to the cast as this one was, but there were a few real stand out moments that made me question how you could write the cast so off-character.
Mar 10, 2019 5:29 PM

Jan 2010
Eh, I liked the first movie better. The interactions were funnier and it felt more like an adventure. Luffy's fight against the main baddie was also better as he got to show off his moveset while this one just felt disjointed and poorly choreographed.

The emotional core of this movie just felt really, really flat to me. The first half is alright but then the problems keep piling up as soon as we arrive at clockwork island. The villains are terrible, the thief guy is a tremendous asshole who just leaves Zoro and Luffy to die and never gets called out for it, the parents are freaking dumb ("it's dangerous in this village because of pirates... Oh, I know, let's send our newborn infant to sea and pray he doesn't die in a myriad of horrible ways or ends up a slave on a pirate ship, that's much better!!!"), the action setpieces were poor, the narrative just failed on all fronts to make me even passably invested on what was happening on screen, Nami didn't get to do shit. Compare that to the first movie which at least had a solid emotional core with Woonan and the old guy, and Nami was an active participant who got some funny/clever moments with Usopp and the villains. Movie 1 basically had less to work with, but executed its ideas better and just had a stronger grip on the Strawhats and their interactions. This one compares poorly to it and I didn't even think the first one was anything more than an alright nostalgia trip to begin with.

Overall, a boring flick. At least Sanji got to kick ass, he was pretty much the only good part about this.
YunoleffMar 10, 2019 5:37 PM
Jan 16, 2020 12:10 PM

Nov 2018
This was an alright movie, better than the first. We also get a preview of the Alabasta Saga and the arcs within it during the credits, which was cool.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jun 5, 2020 11:04 AM

May 2016
Watching this while I'm in the middle of Enies Lobby surprised me a lot since the artstyle from when it just recently came out's so different from the current one I've become used to.

The movie was okay but the fights that I liked the most were the ones where they finally got their gear back. Sanji kicking ass the moment he got to wear his shoes again was epic~

I really liked the preview to Drum Island and Alabasta in the credits. Vivi looks so different and same goes for Robin!

Oct 13, 2020 11:35 AM

Sep 2019
It was good as last movie not great but fun to watch at least. Zoro was as always cool and awesome. 5/10
Sep 6, 2021 5:50 AM

Sep 2018
Seeing the original five together with the older animation and early One Piece atmosphere was pretty awesome and nostalgic. Solid film, 7/10.
Dec 10, 2021 7:54 AM

Jun 2013
I don't know how people could have enjoyed this - the pacing is so jumpy, the plot is so cliche, luffy is written in such a dull way. There weren't any funny moments and the fights were shit too like there's just nothing redeeming.

I don't think the premise was bad but the execution was god awful which is unfortunate because I love one piece but yeah this movie sucks.
Jun 6, 2022 7:58 AM

Feb 2021
They really went kinda ecchi with this movie in the start. I ain't complaining lol

Sheesh, the opening premise with Nami and the nude (pretty much) Trump pirate queen. Damn 🥵🤙

The moment Zoro suspected Borodo and the scientists found the clockwork toy which Akisu left behind, the basic plot of the story was somewhat clear ngl.

We also got a little Nami x Sanji moment lol.

Not sure how Borodo stole their ship and 'gave' it to the Trump Kyodai or how it was placed on the roof of the castle. I don't think it would have fit through the stairs.

Also, I admit I've not seen much of OP yet but from what I've seen, this movie had the most number of Devil Fruit users at once.

It was satisfying to see Sanji beat the ever-living shit out of that fatass spiky fruit user. He was the most annoying out of the lot. Same with Usopp lol. He blasted the gas bastard's asshole. Ngl the Zoro fight went hard. I really liked it.

How tf is the Bear King using that heat-based attack? How did he generate heat in his arm like that?

Weird how every single citizen was prepared for the incident and had parachutes.

This plot kinda reminds me of the ova made by Production IG called One Piece: Defeat the Pirate Ganzack! or smth. Although I didn't expect his lackeys to be El Drago's former crew. El Drago was the antagonist in the 1st One Piece movie.

Decent movie overall 6/10

Jun 8, 2022 7:15 PM

Nov 2010
For a moment there Borodo convinced me that he was about to betray them.

Damn, Bear King can use Haki 5 years before it was introduced in the manga. I know it's just quasi-Haki.

It's a shame they couldn't save the island. It looked cool.

Initially, the pacing was off and the animation kinda not good, but I got used to it in the end. I enjoy it. 8/10
Jun 6, 2023 11:06 PM

Aug 2019
Now we have sanji in this movie!!

Haha I love how disappointed Luffy was that they were completely fine

It was honestly a pretty interesting movie. The animation really brings me back.
Jul 12, 2023 12:05 AM
Oct 2019
Second One Piece movie, it was okay.
Story wasn't as good as the first one.
Didn't hit me emotional at all unlike the first one.

Also Trump Pirates?
And they didn't have Donald Trump in?
What a wasted opportunity lol

5/10
Dec 14, 2023 10:03 AM
Feb 2023
I mean, this movie isn't essential to plot and doesn't provide any new information either. But still a pretty good movie
May 11, 6:00 AM

Oct 2015
Kinda funny that Bear King also voiced Kaido and Borodo also voiced Kinemon with a kid with him. Truly ironic. On another note, I have no idea why people prefer this movie than the first, this one was pretty shit.
EGOISTMay 11, 6:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.