Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2009 9:08 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good story, great animation, interesting villain. What I didn't like was how fast the villain went down, I was expecting at least a longer confrontation with Luffy.
Nov 18, 2009 4:07 AM

Sep 2008
so-so SP!

for me it was great to be this short, it would've been boring if it were longer than this ^ ^

last comments:

rofl@ Sanji stealing the moment from Zoro and going to the woman!

2nd. "If you want your nakama to believe in you... show them your strength and what you can do with it!"

3rd. These OP and ED sure bring back memories and make one feel nostalgic~

3.5/5 SP!

YOSHA!!

"There they go."
"Come to think of it, I never asked them for their names."
"Who cares..."
"They're just a bunch of pirates."
"Yeah, you're right."
"They're just a bunch of pirates."

Believe in Wonderland!!~

"Ore wa Kaizou Ou ni narunda!!" -Luffy
Kaito__KidNov 18, 2009 4:13 AM

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Dec 16, 2009 3:45 PM

May 2008
lol at Sanji for beating Zoro to Meroie after the fight..
still This just shows how Zoro can use any type of sword
regardless of the shape it's in... which is good.
Mar 27, 2010 11:32 AM

Aug 2009
Pretty good little special ^^

Nov 17, 2010 2:15 AM

Jun 2009
It was okay. I didn't find the overall storyline very interesting, but the Straw Hats were just like their normal selves so it was still entertaining. I can't help but feel as though the villain could have been characterized a little better..

6/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 20, 2010 6:36 PM

Aug 2010
Twas good and very entertaining.
Feb 13, 2011 5:45 PM

May 2010
Wow! This special episode was actually good! It felt like a movie, the story was in depth and the location was breathtaking! i some how watch this episode a little late (after 293 epi) but still enjoyed it! :)
Jan 7, 2012 4:40 PM

Mar 2010
Actually, this special is better than any of One Piece movies! It's full of this oldschool, East Blue-era vibe of adventure, good old One Piece :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2012 3:45 PM

Aug 2011
Quite a few loose ends like how the man was a bat and why he came back to life when 3 monsters where defeated but a decent special. Zoro and Sanji were a bit out of character as they actually got along and Zoro was jealous how Sanji got the girl.

Ending was nice we all know how One Piece loves its flying ships.
Dec 21, 2012 6:57 PM

Aug 2012
where can i find this sp.episode? :3
Dec 22, 2012 3:11 PM

Aug 2012
Ok found it, god bless youtube. Was uploaded this month tho, so for those who didn't watch it yet better check it out before they take it down. I looked for it many times before without success.

Was pretty good. Besides the story, everything else was Great~one piece like. That music from the first episodes from the anime was really nostalgic and i enjoyed myself during those ~46min. Im on episode 577 tho, would have been better to watch it right after Sanji joins the crew.
Nov 9, 2013 9:26 AM

Jul 2013
I've just found it and realized that I've already watched.
It was a trash if I remember correctly.
May 2, 2014 8:01 AM

Jan 2014
Amusing the way only One Piece can be. Enjoyed it very much.
Yes, not everything was explained thoroughly, but who cares?
A little bit of imagination never hurt anyone . . . ( ^▽^)σ)~O~)
Feb 2, 2015 2:21 PM

Feb 2014
This was pretty good, the story wasn't all that but it was funny as hell!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Sep 19, 2015 12:39 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
nice sp. nothing particular but still not boring

Oct 20, 2015 12:49 PM

Aug 2014
Fine I guess. I dont' completly get some parts but it was fine.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jul 12, 2016 7:30 AM

Mar 2015
This was nice, watched it after Loguetown so it didn't feel too out of place.

8/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 8, 2016 12:33 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It is a pleasure watch this special today, 2016 year!!!

In this special, is the typic special where can watch a small adventure of Luffy and his nakamas, where they have to save a.... and fight with monster... and find great treasure... and... and.... That i say it, typic adventure.

The special is for year 2000 in this date, the Luffy´s band was only 5 and the Merry too. Nice memories!!!

7/10
Apr 20, 2017 7:39 PM

Dec 2016
A fun watch that reminds me of the early episode during my "Great Binge" of the One Piece series!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 4, 2019 12:25 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I hate that laughing bat, so annoying man.
Jan 20, 2020 9:09 PM

Jan 2014
Doubt anyone will reply to this since it's old af, but where can I find an English subbed version of this ?
Mar 30, 2021 9:02 PM

Aug 2012
I kind of miss this era of One Piece movies/specials, where they just went in different and weird directions. Movie 6 will forever be the best example of an official (though not canon) One Piece story that just has it's own identity. And this certainly falls in the camp, especially when the movie starts with Captain Joke getting betrayed by his crew in a shockingly graphic fashion. I'm not saying it was gore-y or anything that excessive, but getting impaled multiple times and seeing him bleed from his eyes, didn't really expect that from an early One Piece special.

Another element of this era that was kinda annoying is how they'd all incorporate an OC kid into the main plots. Movies 1-4 all this did, and it seems the special followed suit. Normally I would've criticized this but I actually liked how this special handled it because damn, Hamu beat the big bad, the Straw Hats just helped. That worked really well for the special's generic nakama theme, and Captain Joke's final line of wishing he had friends too was a good resolution, and made him have more depth than almost all other One Piece movie/special villains. I can think of only like one, maybe two, other times in the One Piece franchise where the main antagonist isn't defeated by Luffy, but instead defeated by the person who has the most dramatic connection to said antagonist. I really like how that decision.

And that helped save this from being like a 4 or 3 of ten because there was a lot I did not like about this. They don't even bother to try and explain anything about Captain Joke. Why is he a flying human-talking bat? Why does he get to return to life as a living skeleton, who is so fragile that one sword thrust is enough to kill him? We did see Bat him in the skull as he died, but it doesn't make sense for the Bat him to be operating the body. Also, why did he have the power to show Hamu his mother's death? He can just share mental projections with people? I can't be too critical of all this, since there's a part of me that just kind of appreciates how different this makes it from other One Piece stuff but it's just not good writing. It feels like they might've wrote the story with Brook's DF in mind, and when Oda nixed that they decided they were still going to do it just without the DF, the thing that makes it makes sense. Everything about this plot is just vague magic BS. If memory serves correctly, both movies 3 & 5 had departed from One Piece's typical sources of powers like DF but unlike this, they put effort into explaining them. It gave those movies some kind of logical grounding, rather than this which just felt like they were throwing ideas out and hoping nobody would ask any questions.

Also, this has got to be the stupidest Luffy's ever been portrayed. One of the first acts Luffy does in the entire series is eat a Devil Fruit in a Treasure Chest, now in this movie he can't comprehend that a Treasure Chest isn't food and tries to eat it? He doesn't even think about opening it, he's so food obsessed he can mistake a chest as food but not to think there's food in the chest. I didn't find it funny, it seemed OOC stupidity, and it's not the only time I thought the portrayal were OOC. Zoro complaining about Sanji stealing the good part doesn't fit Zoro's character at all. Zoro would complain about Sanji being an idiotic simp, but he wouldn't complain because Sanji's taking the girl's affection from Zoro, which is what he was here. At least with the Subs I watched, could've been a mistranslation but that moment definitely hurt the movie. And also, Luffy's weakness is blades and sharp stuff, and yet the balloon was enough to mitigate all those sharp spikes that were attacking just like bullets on his body? Maybe if after Luffy was bleeding it would'nt've bothered me but no, he had a few dirt marks on him. I don't have issue with Luffy being able to power through impaling pain, but it didn't even really come across that he was hurt from it, the struggle was just keeping it from killing Hamu but it should've have been causing serious damage to Luffy. 5/10.
TerrestriousMar 24, 2022 1:55 AM
Apr 25, 2021 8:20 AM

May 2017
GJ zoro , you tamed a girl , it cost you many fights , but you still did it untill...sanji come , kick once , and steal her 😅
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Sep 20, 2021 5:02 AM

Aug 2020
The villain went down and died a little too fast in my opinion. I just liked the nami and Usopp banter

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Oct 20, 2021 9:03 PM
Feb 2020
DoctorWasabi said:
Doubt anyone will reply to this since it's old af, but where can I find an English subbed version of this ?

I found it subbed on YouTube.
Mar 14, 2022 11:24 PM
Dec 2016
DoctorWasabi said:
As DeitySmoke indicated, as of mid March, not only I found the english sub on YouTube but also surprisingly it had decent quality.😀 Too bad it's been over 22 years & there is no sequel. If you watch it, you'll see 'why' I mean. Too bad supplying the link is not allowed.😕

P.S. and yes even though the forum's super old, there are still replies.😜
Mar 26, 2022 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
I still cant believe that zoro said, "dont take the best part", lmao.
Pretty good story. 7/10!
Jun 21, 2022 8:41 PM

Nov 2010
That was a surprising reaction from Zoro. I thought he didn't care about impressing anyone, especially girls.

7/10
Jul 17, 2022 7:49 AM

Feb 2021
The whole idea of a city appearing in a pit in the middle of the ocean is such a trashy idea ngl

Captain joke not dying, turning into a bat, having 'parts' of his body sealed into the guardian creatures, magical abilities like showing the past to Hamu, and other weird/wacky shit are all major plot holes.

Captain Joke's skull changed shape and grew a beard after getting reattached to the body. Also, where is he getting the rounds from? He only had one when he died and from his skeletal appearance, it doesn't seem like he was carrying any lol

How tf did Hamu's mom's spirit appear out of nowhere? What even was the ocean's navel treasure? What was the shining light? Where did it go? How did it appear again? HOW WAS GOING MERRY FLYING IN THE END???

Half of the things remained unexplained until the end.

This special is hilariously bad. Illogical plot with horrible storytelling. The most utterly disappointing One Piece special I have seen yet. Worst one in the East Blue Saga for sure. I'm sad because OP specials and OVAs are much better than other series'

Aug 15, 2023 7:49 AM

Feb 2023
this shit was very good in the beginning but over time it got worse and worse. went from goated to goat shit :/ 5/10
Nov 12, 2023 8:03 AM

Aug 2022
Pretty fine. Just wish I found a better quality version.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.