Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2014 11:42 AM

May 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I was browsing through Amazon Japan's latest BL collection when I saw Umibe no Etranger's lovely cover art.
After checking a few very positive Japanese reviews, I decided to buy it... And I'm glad I did !

After reading the first chapter, I translated a bit of the summary and I added it to MAL.
This is Kanna Kii's first manga : what a wonderful start !

Since it's the main reason why I bought it in the first place, I'll have to mention it again... I'm totally in love with sensei's art !
The chara-design (which actually reminded me a little of Tsuritama, I guess the whole island setting is to blame :p), the characters' expressions, the backgrounds... Lovely, once again ! <3

And about the characters : they are all as loveable as the rest of the manga !
My favorite might as well be Shun, he's way too kind-hearted and adorable !
His parents' reaction when he told them about his homosexuality was awful... Shun's expression broke my heart, as he apologized. And half traumatized by his parents' rejection, he had to leave their house...
One point I especially enjoyed in this first chapter is how Shun's sexuality is dealt with. He's hurt and lonely, which explains the reason why when Mio suddenly returns three years later and tells Shun about his feelings for him, after getting nearly no news from him since he left, he answers to Mio's carefree attitude with a bitter expression : "Hey... You're kidding, right ? There's not a single good thing about loving another man." éwè

Then, about Mio and his great evolution : in three years, he went from a lonely and sad high school student who suffered from his parents' loss on his own without trying to open up to anyone, to a bright and honest grown up young man, fully aware of his feelings for Shun !

And last of all, I'd like to mention Eri, the young woman who Shun is always arguing with, but who actually really cares about him : their relationship is a nice point, you don't see many female characters like her in BL most of the time, she's much more than a part of the background.
One thing that makes her closer to understanding Shun would be her sexuality : she appears to be dating Suzu, another of Shun's female friends !

I had a bit of a hard time with my reading (I guess it's time to get back to my kanji studying...) but I took my time and really enjoyed it, in the end !
Well, I'll keep on with the three chapters left, then ! :)
GakiAug 6, 2014 11:48 AM
Sep 19, 2014 4:29 PM

Apr 2012
Thank you so much for the review, i was thinking of buying it but i was hesitating. Actually the art also reminds me of Tsuritama (maybe she has made doujins of it ? here & here ) However I can't tell it's her for sure. The characters and the story seem interesting, the art is amazing so i'll give it a shoot~

Jul 13, 2015 12:16 PM

Apr 2014
pretty cute and nice art, there's only 4 chapters so i hope they don't take too long to scanslate
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2016 12:55 AM

Jul 2012
A++++++++++

Yes definitely gonna scanlate the sequel for this series

This was like the right amount of romance, slice of life and other things

Will save ch2 for tmr
Sep 10, 2020 10:43 PM

Jun 2020
what a refreshing read & so cute! love the characters & the art is great

started on this in light of the movie. so excited that matsuoka yoshitsugu will be voicing mio!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 17, 2021 7:47 AM

Oct 2015
I really like the laid-back vibe I'm getting from this chapter, both of their situations are pretty bad too you just can't help but feel for them.
May 17, 2021 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
I've been wondering where I can watch like if it is on yt,hulu,netflix,crunchyroll,funimation or legit sites like that.

More topics from this board

» Why does it say only 1 volume?

DatCatYT - Jun 1, 2022

3 by furretcat »»
Jan 17, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Umibe no Étranger General Discussion

Mayuka - Dec 29, 2015

6 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Dec 8, 2021 6:02 PM

Poll: » Umibe no Étranger Chapter 2 Discussion

EGOIST - Jan 17, 2021

0 by EGOIST »»
Jan 17, 2021 5:58 PM

» Movie Adaptation Announced

TheLimo - Oct 24, 2019

7 by strawberrysz »»
Aug 5, 2020 3:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.