Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 12, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2013
I can never seem to get a seriously good point out of someone who hates on Kai and loves the original over it... (I'm talking about the dub here)

First off... the main complaint is the lack of Bruce Faulconer music, this is totally subjective, but I think it kills the whole mood of the show, it's just constant noise and it bothers me.. I even grew up with it, but I just love the soundtrack much more in Kai.

Second is the voices... so, Gohan doesn't sound like a ten year old kid who smokes a pack a day anymore? he actually has a voice that fits him, Frieza sounds 100x more evil, Cell's voice improved, Bulma's is just different, but you get used to it and the acting is where Kai really shines, how can anyone watch Goku going Super Saiyan in the original compared to Kai and say that the original is better? the pacing is bad.. the dialogue ruins it and the acting is just atrocious (props to the whole Funimation cast for improving so much in Kai though)

With all of that and the pacing, there's no reason to even watch the original Dragon Ball Z... it just doesn't hold up well enough, and if you are going to tell a new watcher that Kai sucks, he's probably going to go with the original and be bored to death with the pacing and bad acting.
Apr 12, 2014 11:08 PM

Feb 2014
I watch a few episodes of kai on tv and i loved it as much as the original dragon ball z. Just the pacing of the story is faster in kai
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
Apr 12, 2014 11:10 PM

Aug 2013
I think my main point is still the voice acting...

That whole "I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE" is so cringeworthy... this kicks its ass..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gUJ_4SyY0
Apr 12, 2014 11:11 PM

Apr 2014
I watched a bit of Kai and definitely enjoyed it. I don't think it deserves most of the flak it gets either
Apr 12, 2014 11:13 PM

Aug 2013
I seriously don't understand it as well. You have to take into account though there are people who ignorantly think Kai is a censored, watered downed version of DBZ because they haven't seen Kai uncensored.
Apr 12, 2014 11:14 PM

Aug 2013
Ferolex said:

That whole "I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE" is so cringeworthy... this kicks its ass..

Ally to good nightmare to you was badass though.
Apr 12, 2014 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Ferolex said:

I do like that line... but it's just... the execution is so terrible... and the whole quote in general.
Apr 12, 2014 11:17 PM

Aug 2013
Ferolex said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Ferolex said:

I do like that line... but it's just... the execution is so terrible... and the whole quote in general.
Yeah the speech in Kai in general was better. Only that specific line I really like.
Apr 12, 2014 11:18 PM

Nov 2010
We already have a thread about it and everything you mentioned is subjective, it's useless. Your points are just as not good as everyone elses.
Apr 12, 2014 11:18 PM

Apr 2010
Probably a mixture of people being used to the dubs from when they first saw it, and I think the art is a little worse quality than the remastered version we got in NA.
Apr 12, 2014 11:21 PM

Aug 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
We already have a thread about it and everything you mentioned is subjective, it's useless. Your points are just as not good as everyone elses.

The fact that Kai has better acting and a lot less cheesy dialogue... "POP GOES TEH WEASEL" is not subjective...
Apr 12, 2014 11:25 PM

Nov 2010
Ferolex said:
IntroverTurtle said:

The fact that Kai has better acting and a lot less cheesy dialogue... "POP GOES TEH WEASEL" is not subjective...
That's not a fact. Learn what a fact is.
Apr 12, 2014 11:26 PM

Aug 2013
antonn said:
Probably a mixture of people being used to the dubs from when they first saw it, and I think the art is a little worse quality than the remastered version we got in NA.
LOL that's absurd Kai's quality is vastly superior to the remastering done for the orange bricks. http://youtu.be/kt9igQDTa-g Kai's visual quality even exceeds that of the Dragon Box.
DrGeroCreationApr 12, 2014 11:32 PM
Apr 12, 2014 11:40 PM

Aug 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
antonn said:
LOL that's absurd Kai's quality is vastly superior to the remastering done for the orange bricks. http://youtu.be/kt9igQDTa-g Kai's visual quality even exceeds that of the Dragon Box.

after 10 seconds of hearing vegeta speak in the original, I just don't see how anyone can stick up for it... I mean, seriously? it's below the level of Season 1 Pokemon dub when it comes to voices.
Apr 12, 2014 11:47 PM

Aug 2013
Ferolex said:
DrGeroCreation said:
antonn said:

after 10 seconds of hearing vegeta speak in the original, I just don't see how anyone can stick up for it... I mean, seriously? it's below the level of Season 1 Pokemon dub when it comes to voices.
It's nostalgia bias. He doesn't sound bad in the remastered version (2nd clip) though. Frieza's voice is absolutely horrible though and there is no possible way anyone can say or justify that Frieza's DBZ Funi English voice is better than his English Kai voice or even on the same level.
DrGeroCreationApr 13, 2014 11:24 AM
Apr 13, 2014 10:02 AM

Nov 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
It's nostalgia bias.

+1
Apr 13, 2014 10:56 AM

Dec 2012
Probably because it wasn't over 9000
Apr 13, 2014 11:02 AM

Jun 2012
D0FLAMINGO said:
DrGeroCreation said:
It's nostalgia bias.

+1

+2
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 22, 2014 6:17 PM

Dec 2013
I was in another thread here where someone actually insulted me for being excited to see Kai do the Buu Saga because I asked who was subbing it... I mean, seriously, that kind of hate is pathetic, there's no point being like that.

Kai is loads better than DBZ, and as "subjective" as some may try to say this discussion is, here's the reason. Fact: This is how the series was meant to be watched, it stays true to the original manga and contains no fillers. The voice acting is better imo, as well, but it's true that you cannot call that a fact. However, the fact remains that Kai IS how Dragon Ball was meant to be. The billions of filler episodes that we sat through in DBZ were not part of the original manga storyline, therefore weren't needed.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
May 2, 2014 4:51 PM
May 2011
What i hate is when someone describes gohans voice as someone who smokes a pack a day. It doesn't sound anything like that, its like one person said that 10 years ago about Frieza's voice and now everyone sounds like that.

i do like kai though, i hate the new voice actors but the pacing is definitely 100% better.
May 3, 2014 12:09 PM

May 2014
It's not so much hate as that it was unnecessary to shoot another series to replace something that was already perfect.
May 3, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2013
This music in that video sucked.

Also real vegeta voice doesnt exist to me anymore.

Team Four Star Vegeta is English Dub perfection.

But then again, we aren't dealing with just a regular english voice actor anymore.
May 19, 2014 7:20 AM

Mar 2014
People like the original because its the original, just because the remastered version has a few good points to it doesn't make the original worse than kai. Don't forget about the "historic value" and the "WOW factor", I mean c'mon, people in the 90's were silly. I personally still prefer DBZ to Kai because i saw DBZ first.