Higurashi or Umineko?
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 3, 2010 1:07 AM

Mar 2009
Higurashi <3
umineko was good but not so good as higurashi
Feb 5, 2010 10:38 PM

Mar 2009
Higurashi. Umineko is good, but some parts seem to be random bits thrown in. Plus, the characters all just suck and are forgettable except for Beatrice.
Mar 8, 2010 2:44 PM

Jul 2008
As far as the anime goes... I can't say that either is good. Umineko was butchered (the fact that every anime-only watcher thinks that Umineko characters are bad is enough to prove the point) and Higurashi was degraded to a shallow horror-thriller (speaking about first season here). Also, I played the VN's after watching the anime (tough I decided to read 4th Umineko VN episode before the anime ended as I knew that DEEN would screw it up).

As far as the VN goes, they are both great but I slightly prefer Umineko so I voted for that one.
Mar 26, 2010 10:36 AM

Jul 2009
I prefer Umineko.
I've watched all thats come out so far, and read all of umineko thats been translated so far, and finished the 1st arc of higurashi VN.
When simply comparing the visual novels, higurash suffers a little bit for me, since it was ryukishi07's first work. The visual and sound effects are better in umineko. I won't compare the stories too much since I've only done 1 higurashi arc, but I think that knowing the back story makes me not enjoy reading through it as much...
However, the higurashi ANIME is still awesome to go through again. Because you can't spell slaughter without laughter. So even if your mind is no longer being fu*ked, you can still ROFL at everything, since you know whats really going on.
The first episode of the Umineko anime almost put me to sleep. The 2nd and 3rd arcs made me go insane (in a good way). The 4th arc somehow felt like the show felt like it was wasting time, and it felt like they rushed it. I have no idea how both are possible.

With that said, I still think I somehow even prefer the umineko anime. Sure, its sometimes boring, and rushed, and poorly put into anime form, but...and I know this may sound like blasphemy, the parts before the festival in higurashi bored me. Even with all the fanservice. (strangely enough though, I love those parts in the VN...go figure.)

Also an important note to remember, Umineko has only finished its 1st series, so nothing really should make sense yet. Higurashi was the same way. Theirs are the 1st 4 question arcs, and then the 4 answer arcs. Though honestly, I don't see how Umineko is gonna be able to make sense in the end... After all, Lambdadelta said in red that their is no strange disease called the Rokenjima Syndrome which makes you see delusions.

I'd also like to note that,

And if you thought that was enough for character links with Lambdadelta and Fredrika Bernkastel, just wait till arc6, when
shows up... Really though, Ryukishi may just be trolling us all with these character links. Ya never know.
I love it when he trolls us. It feels so right.
SchroedersMar 26, 2010 10:45 AM
Mar 30, 2010 2:22 AM
Dec 2008
hmm.. higurashi is really way better than umineko in the sense of realism.
since umineko was full of magic while higurashi cano occur to real life except for rika being revived every time and hanyuu.. but Umineko is much more better than higurashi in the angle of mystries.. it was more mind boggling and exciting for you are wanting to know who the real ulprit is and it was more exciting because it has many unrevealed stuffs..
based on horror it would be Higurashi>Umineko but mystery was Umineko>Higurashi..

well it's use to compare them since they're different except from bernkastel and lambda.. surely..
berkastel is somewhat rika since
Mar 31, 2010 9:48 AM
Dec 2008
They are both bad adaptations of overrated games (but still good games), but I'm gonna say....Well, I was going to say Umineko because of Ono Daisuke, but he's on Higurashi too...

...But Umineko has a far better cast of characters, so I'm gonna say Umineko. And yes, I know that I ranked Higurashi better than Seacats, but I'm talking about their franchises in genreral.
May 21, 2010 10:08 AM

Oct 2007
Honestly i have yet to finish umineko~ but every time i attempt to watch a episode i find it VERY difficult to keep focus on it. the first few episodes were good~ I liked it, thought it'd be a very good mystery anime.

BUT its the basics that annoy me...so...battlers confirming that witches don't exist by replaying throught the events....pausing time very now and then to discuss current happenings....WATCHING beatrice creating floaty shiney red words of truth....im sorry but does he actually think thats all possilbe with human technology or something?? he's quite obviously USING magic to prove it doesn't exist..........whut?

That to me is a weak base of an anime, i LOVE the characters in umineko, they have good personalitys and the detailed designs make higurashis designs look plain.... the music is also very good~ and the animation...when not looking completely out of proportion is quite good also, BUT that pathetic excuse of a basic plot line makes battler look fully retarded before he STARTS debating the situation.

THAT is the reason higurashis a superior anime, not the fact~ ohh its all creepy and makes me shudder stuff that people say.....its just that uminekos basic story is SO WEAK it doesn't stand as a competor. :D

LONG POST IS KINDA LONG~ but its the truth~ ;3
nipah~~

Jun 4, 2010 11:35 AM
Jan 2008
Higurashi Season 1 was a masterpiece of ambiguity. It needed no continuation, and stands above the Season 1 of the sequel.
Jun 6, 2010 7:24 AM

Feb 2008
If you can say that Seacats has less humour than Higurashi then you don't have enough Ange Burger in your diet. I will however, admit that Higurashi was made of 1 part comedy 1 part drama and 2 parts creepy as fuck. I enjoyed both adaptions even though they were not great by comparison. Also Nipah > Uuu~
Jun 8, 2010 1:49 PM

Oct 2009
It seems that many viewers think that the usage of magic for Battler to explain murders with humans kills the whole point of denying it. But that's not the case!
Battler isn't trying to deny magic itself, he's trying to deny that a witch committed the murders on Rokkenjima. The meta-world is a different plane of existence, and it only exists for Battler and Beatrice to have their game. The goal is simple: demonstrate that the Rokkenjima murder case is a mystery and not a fantasy story. Even though Battler sees stakes, bunny girls and demons commit murder with magic, he can't be sure it really happened (remember the Braun tube and Schrodinger's cat analogy?). So he tries to deny that a witch can really exist in the human world - if he succeeds and finds a logic explanation for everything (that basically means he has to understand everything of Beatrice's game) he will be free and will come home with his family, although this isn't true for every world Fragment, as we can see in the world of the 1998 Ange.

Being an avid reader of mystery books, I can't help but feel Umineko and the thinking you have to do about it to be my favourite kind of anime. Higurashi had its moments of glory, I, for one, loved its suspense and eerie feeling, but the character design, western atmosphere, logic battles and great music in Umineko are far superior to me. Just my 2 cents though ;)
RedKeyJun 8, 2010 1:55 PM
Jun 8, 2010 1:51 PM

Jun 2010
Higurashi by far. Umineko was good first few episodes, then it becomes ridiculously confusing and crazy.
Jun 9, 2010 5:28 PM

Jun 2008
For me:

Higurashi S2 > Umineko > Higurashi S1.

So Higurashi overall.
Jun 23, 2010 10:25 AM

Jun 2009
Um, I liked both, but I pick Umineko.
Jun 29, 2010 3:08 PM

Dec 2008
In terms of Sound Novel:

Umineko>Higurashi.

In terms of anime adaptions:

Higurashi>Umineko

The manga for each series are very well done though.

I'm still groveling at how ugly the Umineko DEEN adaption came out.
Aug 18, 2010 2:49 PM

Jun 2008
I just have to say (and pointless necro-ing this topic), I found it hilarious that the anime the section is on is losing the poll. Ah man. Maybe I should pick this up for the lols. Or... maybe not.
Aug 30, 2010 1:18 PM
Oct 2008
vertrag said:
Higurashi for me. I'm an anime-watcher and I don't care how the VNs were supposed to be but if I were to base this comparison ONLY on the anime, then Higurashi > Umineko anytime.

This, my thoughts exactly ... course who knows maybe DEEN gets it together and makes a mind-blowing second season ... its hard to imagine though
aksdmklsmalasAug 30, 2010 1:23 PM
Sep 1, 2010 5:57 AM

Jul 2010
Higurashi was more appealing/interesting to me. Although I enjoy Umineko, there are some "kinks" that annoy me. (ie. Beatrice pronunciation) Also not to fond of witches and magic in this type of setting.

So imo, Higurashi > Umineko. However, they are two different settings to be able to really "compare" them against each other.
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Sep 5, 2010 3:31 AM

Aug 2010
This is a really tough decision for me, because I absolutely love both Higurashi and Umineko. I had a discussion about it with some friends and we all agreed that Higurashi has a better plotline, but Umineko has better characters.
I didn't get hooked in to the Higurashi VN, but I really enjoyed the Umineko VN a lot. Yet, I preferred the Higurashi anime. Although I will have to see how the Chiru anime turns out.

Overall, I prefer Umineko, because I value characters a lot more than plotlines and I feel the Umineko characters are a lot better.
Also, Higurashi had too much of the "moe-moe~" scenes with typical girls acting silly, which I didn't enjoy.
Dec 9, 2010 10:45 AM

Jun 2010
Its hard to say since the two sound novels (and anime) are so different, Higurashi is more horror and suspense whereas Umineko is much more mystery and um, 'witch-y'. But I think in terms of suspense and relating to the characters (esp. the protagonist of each arc) Higurashi wins.

I won't vote because the two are hard to compare, Umineko is brilliant as well so....

As for the anime, the music and atmosphere in Higurashi (first series) gave me shivers, Umineko, not sao much. A bit to OTT with the whole witch thing. 1st chapter, yeah okay (even though all the characters had died by episode 5 xD) but by the end EVERYONE was a witch or had some sort of magical powers... regardless I will have to wait for the Chiru arcs to come out in anime form... which will take quite a while :P
I'm looking forward to more kawaii Beatrice etc..

Basically, not enough suspense in Umineko compared to Higurashi... But still very good :)
Mar 19, 2011 2:25 PM
Mar 2011
I say Umineko. I know they are both different stories, but if I had to choose one or the other, I would choose Umineko.
Mar 24, 2011 3:47 AM

Mar 2011
It's quite hard to pick between the two. Umineko has its own good points as well as Higurashi. Yes, Higurashi is more of a horror/suspense type while Umineko focuses in mystery. But, for me, I like Umineko more because of my personal love for mysteries. Compared to the anime, the VN is recommendable for those who got confused of the anime.

The Chiru arcs are finished and scoring it from EP5-EP7, it's magnificent. It may be disappointing for others but, Umineko sure was a good read
Jul 30, 2011 1:38 AM

Feb 2011
I would say i like them both equally and see them as being two sides of the same coin but if i had to pick one higurashi it was a little bit better in how i was wondering what it was to the end unlike in Umineko where it all pans out before it is over.
Jan 9, 2012 6:35 AM
Apr 2011
I prefer Higurashi anime. Umineko was alright, confusing towards the end and there wasn't an actual ending. I've wikied Umineko for more back story on how it turns out in the novel and it indeed has a more interesting and complicated story than Higurashi (like most say).
Mar 7, 2013 1:58 PM

Aug 2011
In my opinion, Higurashi wins because it actually makes sense by the end. Umineko is just pure mindfuck.
Apr 21, 2013 4:50 AM
Feb 2011
Higurashi for me, maybe because they actually made a second 2 explaining the fucking mindfuck and changed the atmosphere. People bashes Umineko's anime series a lot because of DEEN.

issen-ken-taka said:
In my opinion, Higurashi wins because it actually makes sense by the end. Umineko is just pure mindfuck.

You're kind of forgetting the fact that Umineko has only 1 season, Higraushi's first season was a huge mind fuck too, until the second season explained everything. I think it might be put on-par when/if Umineko is released a second season. But doubt it since people bashes Umineko's first season.
Jun 6, 2013 10:51 AM

Sep 2011
Umineko's opening is by far the best opening theme in any anime ever.

"Please don't flee. I'll turn mistakes, truths, and lies into magic that forgives everything"
Sep 22, 2013 2:42 AM

Aug 2013
Anime - Higurashi > Umineko.
Visual Novel - Umineko > Higurashi.

Higurashi emphasize on suspense and horror.
Umineko is more into mysteries and story wise is by far more unique and interesting.
The anime fail to adapt the details and atmosphere from the VN for Umineko, I also felt it was badly done.
But I definitely liked Umineko better because I read the VN too.
Jan 9, 2017 8:30 PM
Jan 2017
Oh and one more thing unimeko fails to be a horror as far as I'm concerned it was way too much science fiction fantasy action yeah there's supposed to be some fantasy in there but it's supposed to be on the darker side it was supposed to play out as more of a horror but it failed that department as far as I'm concerned it relied too much on its actions and not its horror I mean at one point a guy pulls out almost like the sword from Halo almost
Jonathan_MasonJan 9, 2017 8:35 PM
Jan 9, 2017 8:40 PM
Jan 2017
I don't think unimeko was confusing I understood everything it's not hard to understand it's just that what they were trying to do would not work it does not work the way that they put it in there the reason you're all confused when you watch it is because it lacks common sense it's not no mystery in my opinion I'm not trying to bash anybody but unimeko did bad because it was just not good and yes I read some of the mangoes to it some of them were good but as I got on I realized
Jan 9, 2017 8:44 PM
Jan 2017
[quote=Jonathan_Mason]I don't think unimeko was confusing I understood everything it's not hard to understand it's just that what they were trying to do would not work it does not work the way that they put it in there the reason you're all confused when you watch it is because it lacks common sense it's not no mystery in my opinion I'm not trying to bash anybody but unimeko did bad because it was just not good and yes I read some of the mangoes to it some of them were good but as I went further on I realized that even the manga the same it's bad it's just not good and the people saying that they created Higurashi the witches for some reason it just doesn't add up I think rike open to different worlds by accident some point when she was worl jumping that is my theory and i am sticking to it
Jan 15, 2017 11:40 AM
Aug 2016
Well for me it depends...
As for anime cause I read umineko before watching the anime I think that. Vise versa for higurashi

Anime: better higurashi than umineko
Manga: umineko is better than higurashi

I think for me it depends, did I read or watched anime first. Because the first time is always the best...

As for wich ones better... I CANT DECIDE
there both unique, interesting, amazing and made by the same author

P.S I wonder which one is better for the author himself Ryukushi07 ?
Jan 17, 2017 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
Game wise Umineko is better than Higurashi but Anime wise Higurashi is better cause it delivered a more complete story.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.